Gnucash week

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed Jun 23 03:20:33 EDT 2010

Dear Jesse,

Thanks for planning time for gnucash development. This is a good idea.
As for you planned tasks:

Zitat von Jesse Weinstein <jesse at wefu.org>:
> 1) Get the new check printing features working on Ubuntu 9.10 -- which
> might be as simple as installing the new release from the Ubuntu
> backports repo, or as difficult as manually backporting the features to
> a custom package and hosting it on a PPA.

Sure, sounds good.

> 2) Work on more complete doxygen documentation of gnucash internals,
> which would involve (besides studying the code) questions to -devel
> about the purpose and structure of various files, classes, etc.

Somewhat yes, but OTOH I wouldn't recommend spending too much time on
the documentation here. You can always delete comments which are
outright outdated, and add small other comments in case they help you
yourself in understanding what's going on, but overall, I think there
isn't much to gain here right now.  If one gets into the architecture
issues, we better reorganize some larger parts of the architecture
anyway, but that's beyond the scope of one week.

> 3) Learn and practice designing new reports; I'd see what's been
> requested, and attempt to create some of them.

Somewhat yes. I think the problem about reports is that often the
exact requirements are unclear. If you're starting to implement a
report without having been given exact requirements, you end up
implementing something that "looks good to you". This is perfectly
fine if you need the report yourself, but if you're doing this "only"
for somebody else, eventually you might not have implemented something
that really helps the original request. Your time is better invested
in something that really meets someone's requirements, e.g. yours. I'd
recommend implementing reports only if *you* would like to use the
report.

> 4) Attempt to simplify and streamline the process for inputing invoices
> and paying bills.  At least as I understand it, there are way too many
> steps and dialog boxes in this process, and it'd be good to make it
> easier to handle.

That one is a very good task. I don't know whether you are using that
features. If you do, this task is probably where you can achieve the
most effective progress during your week. I'd recommend working on
this task the most.

Have a good time!

Christian