Elimiating the (first) Print Checks dialog

Thomas Troesch ttroesch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 04:52:12 EDT 2010

When I added address to check printing it originally took the default
address from Vendor, Customer, or Employee objects, which are in
business-core. ( 607522 in bugzilla )  However there is a build problem that
I didn't see initially because of the way I was building.  I removed that
capability before submitting a patch based on a short discussion in IRC.  My
understanding is that it is an architecture issue.

There is a note regarding moving the business-core into the engine from late
March in this mail list.  Perhaps after 2.4.  I think the
architecture decision needs to be made before you can pull addresses from
the business-core objects.

Another minor issue is that it does happen occasionally that the 'make
payable to' information is different from the company name.

Regarding check numbers, assuming Mike's patch, think about what would
happen in different usage scenarios.  If one check is printed, torn off and
sent, then there are two checks left on the page that would need to printed
from the top with two checks on the first page.  On the other hand if
multiple 'print checks' were run, then the positions would be different.
 Some times I hand write a check, or they get damaged, or otherwise voided,
etc.  Also, there currently is no need to have the check number in the
transaction before the checks are printed.  When I was testing Mike's patch
621016, I tested it by using 'print' as the check number for all checks I
wanted to print, then used that field to do the 'Find..' - some checks go
missing? a print mis-feed? - no problem.  There may be some issues with sort
order in the register.  This is mostly moot for me because I only use
voucher checks.  I'm starting to ramble.

I think what you propose would work when it works, which is most of the
time, but would be a real head scratcher if anything went wrong, and putting
the adjustment in the preference dialog would make any fix far removed from
the check printing process.

Your point about the Date format is well taken. It could be included in the
check format.  But then what about the whole Custom tab?  Isn't it for
someone needing some adjustments for simple check writing that doesn't know
how to write the check format files?  Beats me.

Its funny, but when I was looking at the preferences the way they are now, I
thought they should be removed altogether.  The ones that are there now (
date and blocking ) shouldn't apply to the whole check the way they do.  I
added options for the individual check fields, so now the preference options
are really extraneous.

Thats my .02.