For 2.4: webkit only or webkit and gtkhtml

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Sun Jun 27 18:33:42 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 14:17 -0700, J. Alex Aycinena wrote:
> Developers,
>
> Is the intention for 2.4 to only support webkit in place of gtkhtml or
> to support both?
>
> In trunk, the current version of the US Tax Report is formatted
> properly with gtkhtml but with webkit, numeric amounts are not
> right-justified and other formatting problems need to be fixed.
>
> I can submit patches to taxtxf.scm,  stylesheet-plain.scm, and
> html-fonts.scm and get the report to look very good with webkit, but
> then it doesn't format properly with gtkhtml. I am having trouble
> figuring out how to get it to look right with both.
>
> So my question is: if it will be webkit only, I can submit the patches
> and be done. But if it will be either webkit or gtkhtml then i need to
> do more work to figure out how to get to work with both.
>
> I look forward to your feedback.

The intention is not to support them simultaneously, but I hope and
assume we will be moving forward with webkit.  There is a
'gnc-html-engine-supports-css' which is supposed to return true for
webkit and false for gtkhtml, so you could use it in an if-then-else
environment.  The purpose is to allow the scm code to decide whether css
features should be used or not.

Phil