Better name for "Accounts" tab and "Trading Accounts" option?

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Thu Mar 18 01:40:28 EDT 2010

--On March 17, 2010 3:17:56 PM -0700 Jeff Kletsky
<gnucash at allycomm.com> wrote:

> The option appears in the book-level preferences, along with the
> business-related fields. Right now, the tab is labeled "Accounts"
> with "Trading Accounts" (as the only option so far) which left me
> puzzled. Any better suggestions for these?
>
> Now would be the time to make them, since they end up being both UI
> strings, as well as the keys for the KVP data, so, once set,
> shouldn't be changed (until there is some future support for
> decoupling the UI label from the data key).
>
> "Multi-Currency"
> "Use trading accounts"
>
> or
>
> "Multi-Commodity"
> "Use trading accounts"
>
> make a little more sense to me, but even "Multi-Currency" is a tad
> long (but do-able). Setting the tab label to something somewhat
> generic provides a place for future book-level preferences that are
> related.

You're welcome to change them if you want to, I don't really like the
names much either.  Changing them will invalidate some data files since
they are used for KVP access.  The options handling code in options.scm
makes it hard to use a different string for the UI and KVP access.

Also if you change them along the lines you suggest, there will likely
never be anything else in this tab.  I used the more generic "Accounts"
for the tab name since there my be other account related options stored
in the book someday and they could go on this tab.  Having a tab that
is permanently limited to one option may not be a good idea.

       Mike