Proposals/feedback for a distributed version control system for cutecash?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Mar 29 16:14:54 EDT 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 8:49 AM, Christian Stimming wrote:

> Am Montag, 29. März 2010 schrieb John Ralls:
>> Github probably isn't the right public repo for Gnucash just because it
>> works (AFAICT) exclusively on the "pull" model.
>
> Did I understand this correctly: The github repositories doesn't support git
> branches where more than one developer can push to? Is this true? It sounds a
> bit weird not to have this (even though some projects might do well without).

You understood correctly, but I think that I'm mistaken. There's a repository setting called "collaborators" that appears to allow multiple accounts to push to a single repo. It doesn't seem to be very well documented, though, so I'm not entirely sure.

There are large projects (Linux is one) where only one dev (Linux Torvalds in that case) has push authority into the "master" repo, and other devs submit pull requests when they have commits to be made. ISTR that Linux is set up hierarchically, so that Torvalds accepts pull requests from a handfull of devs, each of whom aggregates pulls for a particular segment of the kernel.

Regards,
John Ralls