Translate docs using po files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed May 12 11:09:36 EDT 2010

Nikos Charonitakis <nikosx at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
> I have created po files from xml used in GnuCash docs
>
> The procedure is (example):
>
> Create the pot template:
>  xml2po -o Help_ch_Intro.xml.pot Help_ch_Intro.xml
>
> Rename pot file according to your language code:
> Help_ch_intro.xml.pot to Help_ch_intro.xml.xx.po
>
> Translate and convert back to xml:
>  xml2po -e -p Help_ch_Intro.xml.el.po -o el_Help_ch_Intro.xml Help_ch_Intro.xml
>

> I have also used these steps for .xea files (accounts)
>
> It seems to work...

While translating the docs might work great this way, it's unclear that
translating the xea files are appropriate, only because the hierarchies
might not make sense to your locale.  In particular, various types of
asset or liabilities might have different structures, and certainly the
income and expense categories might differ based on your locale.  So
just translating the xea files is not necessarily sufficient because you
might need to adjust the structure, too....

However I'm sure it's a good start!