Font question for 2.4.0

Tao Wang dancefire at gmail.com
Thu May 13 01:09:03 EDT 2010

Hi,

How about just set 'default-font-family' to GTK+ default font, and
leave other '*-font-family' as is?

In current patch, I set all font same just to make sure every text in
webkit are set fonts.

+        g_object_set (G_OBJECT(webkit_settings),
+            "cursive-font-family", default_font_family,
+            "default-font-family", default_font_family,
+            "fantasy-font-family", default_font_family,
+            "monospace-font-family", default_font_family,
+            "sans-serif-font-family", default_font_family,
+            "serif-font-family", default_font_family,
+            NULL);

However, I checked reports and invoices, I didn't find any text font
are hardcoded set to 'monospace', 'serif' or 'sans-serif'. That is,
even we set all fonts to be same, the user will not find any
difference. So, it should be safe just set 'default-font-family' to
the default font to make CJK or non-ASCII character works, and leave
'monospace', 'serif', as is, just for future potential problems, and
it will become:

+        g_object_set (G_OBJECT(webkit_settings),
+            "default-font-family", default_font_family,
+            NULL);

So, whether should set all fonts to be same will not be a question.

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:
>
>> I haven't really looked at it, but I think that font
>> handling/specification can be added to all stylesheets for 2.4.0.  The
>> default font used will be the user-specified Windows default font (or
>> Linux - it is retrieved from pango using
>> pango_font_description_get_family()).  I hesitate to get rid of the
>> stylesheet named "Default" in case any users have stylesheets based on
>> it or modified "Default" stylesheets.  I suppose I could remove
>> "Default" and rename "Default-CSS" to "Default" and hope that this
>> hasn't screwed up anybody.
>
> I say "make it work".  We're still in the testing stages.  While we have
> a string freeze, we're still allowed to change things around to make
> things work.  This is clearly an i18n bug that we should fix now.
>
> Other than people with open reports in 2.3.12, what are the downsides of
> making this change?
>
>>  Phil
>
> -derek
> --
>       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>       warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

Regards

Tao Wang