We need to prevent multi-user access to the SQL backend (Re: New GnuCash article on LWN)

Valdis Vītoliņš valdis.vitolins at odo.lv
Wed May 19 16:06:11 EDT 2010

I vote for not over-engineered solution and, I suppose simple lock for
all database (only one can write) is OK.

My clients/partners will not use SQL backend. They use Gnucash because
it can be installed and used as many other standalone applications.
It is important, that Gnucash save data in file, which can be easy
copied, opened from shared filesystem, and it can be easily opened by
doubleclick
similarly to other used files in office applications.

There are plenty of client-server accounting applications, I have looked
at LedgerSMB and even play around Openbravo.
But these are much more complicated, than Gnucash (especially on Linux)
which can install every accountant himself.

I believe most of Gnucash users are still private, not business users,
so
please don't rate easiness too outdated and/or unimportant.

Valdis