We need to prevent multi-user access to the SQL backend

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Fri May 21 16:40:46 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2010 19:48, Gour <gour at gour-nitai.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 May 2010 12:55:01 -0400
>>
>> Derek> IMNSHO, adding MySQL and PG support was a mistake; we should
>> Derek> have stuck with just SQLite.
>>
>> +1
>
> -1, I am very grateful for MySQL.  I am generating web based reports
> from the db and sqlite would not be suitable.  Keep up the great work.
>  There is nothing stopping those who want just sqlite (or xml) from
> using that.

Agree completely. Because of the lack of suitability of the existing
gnucash reports (though there have been improvements recently, they
still are not there for my purposes) and difficulty of writing your
own reports in the gnucash environment, as shown in a recent set of
emails, led me to process the xml file with a home-brew python program
to generate the reports I want and need. Having the data in a
full-fledged database (my preference is postgresql, but mysql might
fine -- I can't comment about it because I haven't used it) will allow
me to generate the reports I want without resorting to the kludgery of
my python hack. sqlite3 is very nice for a certain class of
problems/applications, but it does not have the power and generality
of something like postgresql, nor is it as well documented, so I'm
very happy to have the choices that we will have in 2.4.

/Don