Why Two sets of Documentation?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 14:36:17 EDT 2010

I was trying to help out with a user's question about reconciling, and began to look into making the help documentation clearer. I blithely loaded up the Concepts Guide, and began to edit the text there on Reconciling. When I got a ways into the edit, I decided to take a quick look at the Help manual, and found another set of instructions about reconciling that much more closely matched where I had gone with the explanation.

That was when it occurred to me to ask why Gnucash has two *separate* sets of documentation for essentially the same purpose. I don't think it serves end users to have two different places to look for answers to their questions, and I don't think it helps developers/documenters either.

Looking at the two sets of documents, it is not clear which set would be considered the "document of record," although in my experience the Concepts Guide has tended to be clearer and better overall.

Could someone explain why there are the two documents, and would it be advisable to combine them into one set of documentation?

Thanks,
David