Paper for College - From Brazil

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Nov 9 03:48:34 EST 2010

Hello Elisa and group,

unfortunately to my knowledge no documentation about gnucash's
requirements exist, neither functional nor non-functional
requirements. For the most part, any progress in this open source
project has been done without any explicit formulation of
requirements, but instead just with the ad-hoc requirements each
involved developer had in mind. (The surprising part is how far the
project got this way...)

There is one exception where functional requirements are listed
explicitly, which is in the bugzilla bug reports. In the closed bugs
and enhancement requests you will often find a very clear description
of requests (=requirements) followed by some discussion of the
implementation and finally the confirmation that the implementation
fulfils the requirements. However, due to bugzilla's structure those
bug items are usually very limited in scope.

For your Testing Project, I guess you will have to make up a
specification of functional and non-functional requirements on your
own. You can take inspiration from four places: 1. The bugzilla bugs
as written above, see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla , 2. The
developer documentation of the source code, partly explaining the
source code structure http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/HEAD/ , 3. The use
documentation intended to be read by each end-user
http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/ , 4. The wiki pages containing
explanatinos for specific requests (maybe requirements?)
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ and the rest of the wiki,

Also, the source code of gnucash contains a (relatively small) number
of unittest programs which are run by the command "make check", but
usually the actual requirements which are tested by those are not at
all documented.

For your project, I can offer to be available for a telephone
conference call with your group. Feel free to contact me off-list to
discuss the details. I'm in European time (GMT+0100, Germany) and I
can make cheap international phone calls myself. Maybe that would help
you a bit.

Best Regards,

Christian