libgnc-qof.so.1: cannot open shared object file

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Nov 14 14:46:46 EST 2010

On Nov 14, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Anthony Dardis wrote:

> Thanks. No luck so far. This system did have 2.2.9 installed using Synaptic; I did a "complete removal" before I started this build. Following your suggestion I tried:
>
> (a)
>
> env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
>
> (b)
>
> ./configure --enable-dbi --with-qof=/usr/local/lib

"env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/" is a no-op. To change your environment for the duration of a shell session, use export(1). Completely overriding an important path variable is unwise unless you really know what you're doing, so something like "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" is safer.

The --with-qof= argument to gnucash's configure is used to tell gnucash to build with an external qof library (see https://alioth.debian.org/projects/qof/, ignoring the stupid certificate warning if your browser presents one) instead of the built-in one that gnucash provides. It doesn't have any effect on the runtime behavior.

No need to rebuild. Try this:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/bin/gnucash

If that still doesn't work, please post the output of
ldd /usr/local/bin/gnucash

Regards,
John Ralls