libgnc-qof.so.1: cannot open shared object file

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 15:19:10 EST 2010

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 14:46:46 -0500, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Anthony Dardis wrote:
>
>> Thanks. No luck so far. This system did have 2.2.9 installed using
>> Synaptic; I did a "complete removal" before I started this build.
>> Following your suggestion I tried:
>>
>> (a)
>>
>> env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
>>
>> (b)
>>
>> ./configure --enable-dbi --with-qof=/usr/local/lib
>>

> "env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/" is a no-op. To change your
> environment for the duration of a shell session, use export(1).
> Completely overriding an important path variable is unwise unless you
> really know what you're doing, so something like "export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" is safer.
>
> The --with-qof= argument to gnucash's configure is used to tell gnucash
> to build with an external qof library (see
> https://alioth.debian.org/projects/qof/, ignoring the stupid certificate
> warning if your browser presents one) instead of the built-in one that
> gnucash provides. It doesn't have any effect on the runtime behavior.
>
> No need to rebuild. Try this:
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/bin/gnucash
>
> If that still doesn't work, please post the output of
> ldd /usr/local/bin/gnucash
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Excellent! This worked:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/bin/gnucash

Thanks again.

My plan is (a) to play with this one until 2.4 comes out and report what I
find, if I find anything; (b) poke around the code and think about trying
to generate code for some bug or enhancement, starting as small as
possible. I can code in c, although I'm no guru; I've done some Tkinter
coding in Python, so I have I think the basic idea of how GTK+ is supposed
to work (and I do have the tutorial). I have done a little work in Lisp,
and Scheme looks doable, but it would be a much bigger step.

Cheers,
Tony