Patch for Help - Gettingstarted and GUImenus xml files

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Nov 17 15:59:29 EST 2010

On Tuesday 16 November 2010, Cristian Marchi wrote:
> I'm not able to apply the patches to my local copy due to my lack of
> knowledge. I noticed that the heading of files is different from what
> I'm accostumed to.
> Normally I use the command "patch -po < filename" from the right path.
> Can you apply yourself these patches and point me to some documentation
> to learn how to apply them?
>
> Thanks
> Cristian

Just for completeness sake, -p0 would not work with Yawar's patches.

The files inside his patches have paths like
a/some/path/to/file
b/some/path/to/file

The "a" and "b" are fictional path components added by git. For patch to find
the proper files, these fictional parts have to be stripped. That's what -p1
does as Derek suggested, it strips one level of subdirectories from all file
paths found in the patch.

Your alternative (proposed by Yawar) is to go directly into help/C and apply
the patches from there. But in this case you have to tell patch that the files
referred to in the patch file are in the current directory, not 3 levels down
as the file names in the patch would suggest. Hence in this case you should
use -p3 (to strip 3 levels of subdirectories from all pathnames in the patch).

Of course all of this only works if you had first applied your own patch (see
my other mail).

Geert