Call for translators

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Nov 23 12:47:59 EST 2010

Last weekend the GnuCash developers were happy to release version 2.3.17. This
version is also the second release candidate for GnuCash 2.4. So if no blocker
bugs are found in the latest release, the next stable release will be there in
one or two weeks.

This is great news. A lot of people have been working hard to make this a
great release and I believe it will be.

There is one area I'd love to see some improvements in still though. There
have been quite some changes in the graphical user interface. GnuCash is
translated in many languages and not all of the translations have been updated
to reflect these gui changes.

We have some translation heros that are completely or nearly finished. Great
job folk. Thank you very much.

Other languages are in need of some love and attention.

So here I am calling out to all people who like to see GnuCash run in their
native language: we need help to get some of the translations updated to the
new features in GnuCash.

You don't need to know how to code in order to help translate GnuCash. Skills
that are useful but not necessarily required include:
* capability to translate common sentences and words from English into your
native language
* knowledge of some accounting specific terms in your language
* mastering dictionary lookups
* communicate on mailing lists

You see, not *that* hard. If you're interested, let us know on gnucash-
devel at gnucash.org (subscription required), and you will be guided in the
process.

Useful reading to get started with translations:
* http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation

And just to give you an idea of the current translation status:
Lang  Transl  Fuzzy Unstr   Percentage
nl    3976                  100,00%
lv    3975    1              99,97%
de    3958    18             99,55%
pl    3956    20             99,50%
zh_CN 3949    27             99,32%
it    3905    3       68     98,21%
pt_BR 3847    107     22     96,76%
ja    3667    56      253    92,23%
ca    3532    324     120    88,83%
ru    3449    325     202    86,75%
en_GB 3440    14      522    86,52%
ro    3410    399     167    85,76%
vi    3410    399     167    85,76%
fr    3381    426     169    85,04%
es    3341    397     238    84,03%
hu    3222    417     337    81,04%
cs    3158    484     334    79,43%
nb    3145    578     253    79,10%
ne    3145    578     253    79,10%
uk    3070    402     504    77,21%
sk    2991    349     636    75,23%
el    2954    357     665    74,30%
ko    2876    400     700    72,33%
bg    2834    574     568    71,28%
zh_TW 2649    725     602    66,62%
sv    2456    525     995    61,77%
lt    2397    309     1270   60,29%
da    2360    818     798    59,36%
tr    1800    761     1415   45,27%
eu    1669    1569    738    41,98%
fa    1548    147     2281   38,93%
pt    1303    1869    804    32,77%
he    1109    251     2616   27,89%
es_NI 819     2027    1130   20,60%
fi    344     158     3474    8,65%
ta    236     837     2903    5,94%
rw    189     2260    1527    4,75%

So if you feel like you can help out to bring one of those translations up to
date, please let us know !

Geert