Documentation for the 2.4 release

Thomas Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Fri Oct 8 08:16:59 EDT 2010

Hi Geert,

Sorry to be slow in responding.

I have been thinking about your remarks.  I am comfortable making a draft of such documentation.  But to do that I do need a list of features that are new to 2.4.  I figure once I could put words to the features, developers involved in creating the features could react to the draft by pointing out what I got wrong or what was omitted and should be included.

So far I am acquainted only with GC 2.2.9 and have not attempted to install 2.3.15.  So you can see I am the least likely person to be writing the documentation.  Up to now there seems to be no one else, so I am proposing the above just to get something started.  This would be my contribution to the idea you propose for a formalized documentation update process.

I would also like to suggest that once the 2.4 release is actually released, the developers help focus on at least the initial draft of this documentation.  There should be install instructions (if needed) as well as the general overview and database specific commentary.

Once that would be prepared, user questions would quickly disclose what had been omitted.  When that round of development had been completed, then there would be time for adding new features beyond 2.4.

Do these thoughts resonate as a way to get started?

Tom