GC Concept Guide Review and Wiki Pages

Thomas Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Mon Oct 18 13:21:07 EDT 2010

Hi Geert,

> For your reference, here's a very short summary of (most of) what I
> did:
> * titles: surround with ==...==
> * subtitles are created by surrounding them with one additional = per
> sublevel, so for example first subtitles will be ===...===
> * numbered lists: replace "1. ", "2. ",... with "#"
> * Add some bulleted lists by prepending the paragraphs with a "*"
> * The # and * additions can be combined to get recursive lists.
> * Note that lists are pretty picky about newlines. I removed most of
> them
> inside list paragraphs, otherwise numbering wouldn't add up.
> * If you want a newline in a list item, begin the new line with the
> same
> combination of # and * as the previous line and add one ":"
> * literal commands: surround with <pre>...</pre> (I also removed the
> quotes,
> they don't add value anymore with the <pre>...</pre> formatting)
> * if you wish to indent a paragraph: prepend a colon (":") and make
> sure to
> remove all newlines from that paragraph.
> * I removed the -------------- separators. The wiki sections and
> subsections
> markup is clear enough IMO.
> * Note that the tables of contents is courtesy of Media wiki. I don't
> have to
> write it.

Thank you again for the summary instructions on how to write a wiki page.  I finally got time to see what you had done.  I made only a couple of cosmetic tweaks and a few words to clarify something I had missed.  Thanks also for making the page editable in sections versus the entire page in one pass.  How did you make that happen?

Using the above and the new page will be a very practical wiki tutorial for me going forward.  I very much appreciate your setting this up.

> So far I have not made any changes to the text itself (apart from some
> spelling fixes), to make it easier for your to see how it got
> translated from
> plain text to wiki text.
>
> I do have some remarks on what you have written also though:
> Step 9: you don't have to list yourself as wanting to be notified
> explicitly
> when you reported the bug. In that case you will automatically be
> notified.

Thanks for this.  I have modified the text to reflect that result of setting up a bug.

> Notes on step 1: the events you describe here in case subversion is
> not
> installed are very distribution dependent. I think right now it only
> happens
> in very recent distro's (I know for Fedora it will only first appear
> in the
> new Fedora 14). Perhaps it's best to refer the reader to his/her
> distro
> specific application installation tools here to install subversion.

I have modified the document to incorporate this point.

> Notes on step 6: your explanation here is a bit misleading. "svn dif"
> doesn't
> contact the online repository. It uses the local working copy's
> metadata
> (which can be found in the hidden directory .svn) to determine what
> has
> changed since the last time you ran svn update. It is the svn update
> command
> that connect to the online repository to retrieve any new changes. So
> if you
> wish to view the changes you made compared to the status of the online
> repository, you should start with an svn update, and then run svn
> diff.

I have integrated these ideas into Notes for step 6.  Please verify I have captured your ideas.  Basically, I have rewritten this entire Notes for step 6 section.  I hope it flows more logically and smoothly.

> In the same section: you mention "diff -ur". As I mentioned in the
> mailing
> list as well, this won't work in subversion. Instead you should use
> "svn
> diff". ("diff -ur" requires additional parameters to run).

I removed the reference to "diff -ur".

> (Forgive me if my writing is a little compact. I should be in bed by
> now...)

Privately, I wondered how you and a couple others do all you do.  You must have a small sleep requirement! :-))

> Geert

When you think this is ready for users, I will send a notice to the user's list about the wiki page.  Right now, especially since I rewrote the one section, I want to be sure I have not lost something and do have all the essential pieces in right order.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Tom