Bug 632594 created; review, approval, commit requested

Cristian Marchi cri79 at libero.it
Wed Oct 20 14:30:37 EDT 2010

I've commited yesterday some patch to guide:
- updated ch_basics.xml file
- corrected the markup language in gnucash-guide.xml
- new and updated images for GnuCash Preferences in guide

Il 20/10/2010 19:39, Thomas Bullock ha scritto:
> Hi Geert and Yawar,
>> On the other hand, your patch as seen in bugzilla doesn't contain
>> modifications to gnucash-guide.xml, so I wonder how you interpreted
>> Yarar's
>> reply as if you are not allowed to change that file.
> Looking back on your discussion in this email and my current version of changes.patch, I can conclude only that I seem to have lost my way.
> When I ran the first svn diff I found many changes needed to gnucash-guide.xml.  Cristian Marchi's reply let me find the way to correct those.  I ran another xmllint and found still 2 more xml errors.  I fixed those and thought they would be in the next diff output.  Part of what confused me is that my changes.patch (the one attached to the bug) had to have been changed by both Cristian's svn updates and my own.  In the last instance the ch_basics.xml file now has changes to fix line breaks, which is different than the original content of that file.   That probably happened either to Yawar or Cristian doing svn updates.  I say that the release number had changed but I did not appreciate the significance of that.  I believe that was a big yellow light for me to stop and examine what had changed from my expectations.  So I learned something from this exercise.
Sorry Thomas for creating confusion on this. I've corrected the problems 
in gnucash-guide.xml minutes after you sent the mail about them. So when 
you have "svn update" your local copy the changes were merged and your 
diff didn't listed the changes on the file.

At this link you can see the last changes I've made to the file: 

>> I can only assume this is what happened:
>> 1. you had fixed a number of xmllint errors in your local working
>> copy.
>> 2. at about the same time, Cristian committed his work in r19679,
>> which among
>> others also fixes the same xmllint errors.
>> 3. you dutifully ran svn update before creating your final patch. This
>> svn
>> update pulled in the final xmllint fixes that Cristian had just
>> committed.
>> Since your local fixes were the same as in the online svn repo, svn
>> update
>> marked these local changes as in sync with the online repo. In other
>> words,
>> your local fixes wouldn't appear in the subsequent svn diff, because
>> they were
>> already in the online repository.
>> 4. You ran svn diff to create the patch, still assuming there would be
>> xmllint
>> fixes in it.
> I believe your analysis is correct.
That's what happened!


More information about the gnucash-devel mailing list