r19711 - gnucash-docs/trunk/guide - Merge branch 'bug633066' into HEAD

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Oct 29 05:21:39 EDT 2010

On Friday 29 October 2010, Yawar Amin wrote:
> Author: yawaramin
> Date: 2010-10-28 21:07:17 -0400 (Thu, 28 Oct 2010)
> New Revision: 19711
> Trac: http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/19711
>
> Modified:
>    gnucash-docs/trunk/guide/C/gnucash-guide.xml
>    gnucash-docs/trunk/guide/de_DE/gnucash-guide.xml
>    gnucash-docs/trunk/guide/it_IT/gnucash-guide.xml
>    gnucash-docs/trunk/guide/ja_JP/gnucash-guide.xml
> Log:
> Merge branch 'bug633066' into HEAD

Yawar,

Thanks for all your changes.

This commit caught my attention because of the log message: it shows you are
using git for your development ;)

That's great. I think your gnucash-doc git repo will be a very useful example
if and when gnucash decides to migrate to git. There have been some
suggestions and discussions around that on this list in the past.

The commit log message is a bit confusing in the svn context though. The merge
didn't happen in svn. Instead, svn only sees the summary of several commits in
the git branch you used to work on this. In this case it's luckily not really
an issue. The branch was called "bug633066" which gives a good hint to what
the commit intended to resolve. But branch names may not always be so helpful.

I'm thinking of ways we can improve this: the first obvious improvement would
be to have a more elaborate log message when merging a development branch back
to head, one that makes sense in the svn context as well.

For example in this case the log message could have been:
Bug #633066 - Add a few structuring and translator comments to gnucash-
guide.xml
(git - Merge branch 'bug633066' into HEAD)

Or something like that. Especially the "Bug #633066" inclusion is very useful.
This construct is recognized by trac and will result in links to the relevant
bug report in the trac browser. The git part helps git users to see how this
commit was realized.

Anyway, that is my first idea. I'm open for improvements or simplifications.

Geert