r19711 - gnucash-docs/trunk/guide - Merge branch 'bug633066' into HEAD

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 07:53:54 EDT 2010

Hi Geert,

On 2010-10-29, at 05:21, Geert Janssens wrote:

> […]
> The commit log message is a bit confusing in the svn context though. The merge
> didn't happen in svn. Instead, svn only sees the summary of several commits in
> the git branch you used to work on this. In this case it's luckily not really
> an issue. The branch was called "bug633066" which gives a good hint to what
> the commit intended to resolve. But branch names may not always be so helpful.

You are absolutely right, basically I never even wanted a Subversion user to be aware that a merge had been done. As far as SVN is concerned the history is linear. I should have checked carefully before committing. Mea culpa!

> I'm thinking of ways we can improve this: the first obvious improvement would
> be to have a more elaborate log message when merging a development branch back
> to head, one that makes sense in the svn context as well.
>
> For example in this case the log message could have been:
> Bug #633066 - Add a few structuring and translator comments to gnucash-
> guide.xml
> (git - Merge branch 'bug633066' into HEAD)
>
> Or something like that. Especially the "Bug #633066" inclusion is very useful.
> This construct is recognized by trac and will result in links to the relevant
> bug report in the trac browser. The git part helps git users to see how this
> commit was realized.
>
> Anyway, that is my first idea. I'm open for improvements or simplifications.

I think what I should have done is a git merge –no-commit and then edited the commit message to give a good description. I’ll keep this in mind for the future. Thanks for pointing it out!

Regards,

Yawar