documentation update: International support

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Sep 11 16:52:58 EDT 2010

Am Friday 10 September 2010 schrieb jh:
> On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 22:30 +0200, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > On Thursday 9 September 2010, jh wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > looking at the po directory, I find 37 languages (and dialects) now.
> > > How can I tell, if these fall into the category 'fully translated' or
> > > 'partially supported'?
>
> Attached is my digest. Going by your 90% criteria, there are now 8 fully
> translated :(

I'd say in terms of the fraction of all strings, 80% or 75% might be
sufficient, BUT it depends. Some of those might have the "everyday" parts of
gnucash fully translated, but left the unusual parts untranslated (such as the
tax or online banking stuff), and I'd call those "fully translated" as well.
In total, this might result in 75% of the strings. However, translations which
used to have 100% a few years ago and were never adapted will today have many
untranslated strings in the everyday parts, so those are merely partly
supported. As usual, you can't tell this easily from this single number, but
indeed for "fully translated" there might only qualify approx. 8 languages.

> I looked inside the en_GB.po and noticed some vandalism:
>
>   #: ../src/gnome/glade/account.glade.h:57
>   #, fuzzy
>   msgid "Setup selected accounts"
>   msgstr "Delete selected account"

As I said in the other message, please memorize the  One True Po File Rule:
Messages marked as Fuzzy are not translated at all, regardless of what their
msgstr contains. They will appear untranslated in the program. Period. (I
agree this looks rather unintuitive when browsing through the po file, but
that's what the Fuzzy marker really means. Sorry for that.)

Regards,

Christian