Unexpected results in attempting a patch

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 18:25:15 EDT 2010

Hi Tom,

On 2010-09-25, at 17:04, Tom Bullock wrote:

> […]
> I used your xsltproc command in a terminal and it worked as you said. I say that, based on my seeing the modules being generated as the command executed. However, I have not been able to find the output_html directory.
>
> The modules are listed in the ../guide/C directory. When I list that fully and its parent directory fully, there is no directory named output_html. All modules are intermingled with the xml modules in the ../guide/C directory.
>
> What did I do wrong that the output_html directory did not get created?

Ah, do you mean that all the HTML files have been put into the guide/C/ directory, instead of going into output_html? In that case I think I know what happened: you probably missed the ending slash (/) at the end of the output_html/ in the command. Xsltproc and a few other Unix-type commands interpret the slash character to mean a directory, and its absence to mean that you’re specifying a file. Long story short, xsltproc thought you wanted all the generated HTML to go into a file called ‘output_html’, which didn’t make sense because it was generating a bunch of HTML files. So it just ignored that bit and happily put all the HTML files into the current folder.

Right now you can easily tuck all the HTML files neatly away:

mkdir output_html
mv *.html output_html

And to start browsing the generated HTML, open up output_html/index.html in your browser.

Regards,

Yawar