svn and Trac browse source not the same?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 28 12:24:14 EDT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 September 2010, David Reiser wrote:
>> I'm still thrashing about trying to figure out why r19505 completely breaks
>> gnucash for me. No progress on that, but along the way I find that
>> src/core-utils/gnc-path.c is not the same file in the online source
>> browser compared to my svn copy. If I do 'svn info', I get:

>> Repository Root: http://svn.gnucash.org/repo
>> Repository UUID: 57a11ea4-9604-0410-9ed3-97b8803252fd
>> Revision: 19619
>> Node Kind: directory
>> Schedule: normal
>> Last Changed Author: cmarchi
>> Last Changed Rev: 19617
>> Last Changed Date: 2010-09-27 12:30:28 -0400 (Mon, 27 Sep 2010)
>>
>> The differences are in the vicinity of functions related to my problems,
>> but neither version works, so I must be doing something else wrong. Any
>> ideas about why I'm seeing different versions of the file?
>>
> That is the svn state for your working copy's base directory.
>
> What does
> svn info src/core-utils/gnc-path.c
> return ?

Repository Root: http://svn.gnucash.org/repo
Repository UUID: 57a11ea4-9604-0410-9ed3-97b8803252fd
Revision: 19619
Node Kind: file
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: gjanssens
Last Changed Rev: 19563
Last Changed Date: 2010-09-08 03:14:05 -0400 (Wed, 08 Sep 2010)
Text Last Updated: 2010-09-28 11:58:35 -0400 (Tue, 28 Sep 2010)
Checksum: 99c9a39b416060d4ad522b0c70dfa32d

The reason the Text Last Updated is so recent is I deleted the file locally and then did another svn up to restore it.

> And what is trac showing you that makes you say it's different ?

Hmm. A copy of gnc-path.c that I downloaded from trac last night is different from the one I just downloaded now, but the one downloaded 10 minutes ago is the same as svn. So that suggests I was getting an older version from trac when I thought I was getting the most recent.

> For what it's worth, I have made some more changes to gnc-path.c in r19563, so
> perhaps you're seeing these changes as well.

I've been comparing most recent svn to the trac display.  r19563 doesn't change the behavior I see, so I've been using latest svn while beating on swig and guile to see if those improve my situation.

> Just to be sure, did you run
> svn update
> in your top-level working directory ?

Yes.

>> When  Geert gets back, I'll ask him for some guidance on the bigger
>> problem.
>>
> I'm not sure what goes wrong.
>
> I can only think of these things:
> * either the source is not fully up to date
> * the build chain is not picking up all the necessary changes, it continues to
> work with some obsolete files
> * GnuCash at runtime is picking up the wrong libraries
>
> The first two are easy to eliminate:
> * do a fresh checkout
> * in this fresh checkout, do
>  - ./autogen.sh
>  - configure --prefix <dir-to-install-in> <your-other-configure-options>
>  - make && make install
> * and see if this gnucash runs or not

No.

> Use a prefix different from your existing working copy, so you're sure not to
> mix up installed files between the two.

In general, I run 'rm -rf $PREFIX/*' before make install, so I shouldn't be seeing any cross talk. But I'll try another prefix.

> This takes some time, but should help eliminate the cause.
>
> If GnuCash still doesn't work, it's very likely it picks up the wrong shared
> libraries and we should work from there.
>
> Geert

Thanks for the help.

Dave
--