svn and Trac browse source not the same?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Sep 28 08:00:55 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 28 September 2010, David Reiser wrote:
> I'm still thrashing about trying to figure out why r19505 completely breaks
>  gnucash for me. No progress on that, but along the way I find that
>  src/core-utils/gnc-path.c is not the same file in the online source
>  browser compared to my svn copy. If I do 'svn info', I get:

> Repository Root: http://svn.gnucash.org/repo
> Repository UUID: 57a11ea4-9604-0410-9ed3-97b8803252fd
> Revision: 19619
> Node Kind: directory
> Schedule: normal
> Last Changed Author: cmarchi
> Last Changed Rev: 19617
> Last Changed Date: 2010-09-27 12:30:28 -0400 (Mon, 27 Sep 2010)
>
> The differences are in the vicinity of functions related to my problems,
>  but neither version works, so I must be doing something else wrong. Any
>  ideas about why I'm seeing different versions of the file?

That is the svn state for your working copy's base directory.

What does
svn info src/core-utils/gnc-path.c
return ?

And what is trac showing you that makes you say it's different ?

For what it's worth, I have made some more changes to gnc-path.c in r19563, so
perhaps you're seeing these changes as well.

Just to be sure, did you run
svn update
in your top-level working directory ?

> When  Geert gets back, I'll ask him for some guidance on the bigger
>  problem.

I'm not sure what goes wrong.

I can only think of these things:
* either the source is not fully up to date
* the build chain is not picking up all the necessary changes, it continues to
work with some obsolete files
* GnuCash at runtime is picking up the wrong libraries

The first two are easy to eliminate:
* do a fresh checkout
* in this fresh checkout, do
  - ./autogen.sh
  - configure --prefix <dir-to-install-in> <your-other-configure-options>
  - make && make install
* and see if this gnucash runs or not

Use a prefix different from your existing working copy, so you're sure not to
mix up installed files between the two.

This takes some time, but should help eliminate the cause.

If GnuCash still doesn't work, it's very likely it picks up the wrong shared
libraries and we should work from there.

Geert