GSOC Idea: Charts in CuteCash

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Apr 3 15:56:23 EDT 2011

Dear Cong,

your idea sounds very interesting. Especially the "user scenario" as explained
by the mockup is a very nice goal. With your further explanations about your
existing knowledge and experience, it seems to be quite realistic that you
will also be able to achieve that goal within the GSoC timeframe. And nice
charts are always a good way to improve the user experience in some piece of
software. I don't recall 3D charts from trolltech - I only knew their 2D
piechart example (used as Model-View example there) which offered plenty of
interactivity.

I'd only like to ask for a minor priority shift: Could you *first* try to port
your existing code into cutecash (#3 in your list), so that the
gnucash/cutecash project already gets to know how your feature might
eventually look like, and after that do your chart improvements and better
labeling (your #1 and #2)? After all, you apply for the GnuCash project to be
your mentor. Of course it is fine to see your results bringing benefits to
other projects as well, but we should make sure you will have some deliverable
inside the GnuCash project right from the beginning, whereas all your MyMoney
improvements will not show up as benefit for the gnucash project until after
the code has been integrated into cutecash. Do you think this change in
planning is possible?

Best Regards,

Christian