GSOC 2011 Proposal :GnuCash Business Integration

Ravi Sethia ravisethia2009 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 11:34:26 EDT 2011

Hello  Everyone,

I am, Ravi Sethia, a student pursuing B. Tech(currently in my 2nd Year,4th
semester) from the
Computer Science and Engineering Department of Indian Institute of
Technology Guwahati,India.

I have been exploring about Gnu Cash since past  four days so that I could
well understand what are the features provided by GnuCash and how it can be
improved and developed to make it more user friendly and at the same time
be  loaded with all features.I have explored the application in Windows and
was successfully able to build it in Linux .Now I feel  that Business
Integration like POS  and support for Indian Languages  are two important
things I would love to work upon. My family is a business family so my
father and uncle and me too have been using Tally for past 10 years and now
I have come to know about GnuCash through GSoC.

I see a lot of possibilities in  developing this into a mass usable product
across India as there is immense opportunity here in retail sector which is
currently undergoing changes like use of accounting software,small scale
shops giving way to large retail shops where POS is an important
necessity.Hence the need of modifying this software  to suit the needs of a
potential market . I will love to be part of this project and would like to
integrate some of borrowed  features from Quicken and Tally and other
pioneering accounting software so that it becomes a full packaged software
suitable for needs of small business to large Enterprises.

For the time of GSoC ,I would like to start with adding POS feature and
support for Indian  Languages and later also if I get to work more on this
add many features from my business understanding as my family background
and  contact with businessmen helps me a lot in listening to the needs of
the user better and addressing them if feasible.I will like to facilitate a
simple tool to migrate from Tally so that its easy to deploy for migrating
Tally users.

I have  experience of coding in C/C++ ,Python and Qt4,Visual Studio
Some of the relevant projects done by me are

*   1. Hospital Automation Project   *

   - Automation of the institute hospital by designing a desktop based app
   and networkingamong the various computers to enable minimum manual work .

   - Lead a team of 18 students  to implement the project using Python and
   Qt and IBM DB2

*2.Project:Tool for Searching Files on Hard‐disk*

   - Designing a utility tool similar to Google desktop based on Python

   - User  enters the text string and the program searches for it in all the
   relevant  files on computer  using a search index

3.* MIPS Simulator *

   -       Wrote a MIPS simulator using C++ as part of assignment

*4.8085 Assembler
*

   - *A *simple two pass assembler in C as part of assignment.

I have also taken relevant courses in the as part of my curriculum in my 2
years.

   - C++ and Data Structures
   - Introduction to Algorithms
   - Software Engineering
   - Introduction to C

I know its too late to contact the mailing list but I have prepared a
proposal just need the final help from some of you regarding my ideas and
GSoC application.Thanks in advance for the help

Regards,
Ravi Sethia
2nd Year Undergarduate(B.Tech)
Dept. of CSE