GnuCash Translation into Tamil

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Apr 10 15:49:28 EDT 2011

Dear Ashok,

Am Freitag, 8. April 2011 schrieb AshokR:
> I would like to help with the translation of GnuCash into Tamil (ta_IN).

This sounds great. We appreciate any contributions in Translations. Is it
correct that you are also the author of the great new book on gnucash by
packtpub? Thanks a lot for that one.

> I would like to use the  http://www.transifex.net/ Transifex  service as a
> shared workspace to collaborate with, hopefully,  other volunteers.
> Transifex is a service based on an open source project. I understand that
> it is being used by several hundred projects including Django, Ekiga,
> CiviCRM, Empathy, F-Spot, PackageKit and a number of GNOME projects.
>
> Transifex works with GitHub.
> http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/projects.html To create a new project
> on Transifex , the help file asks me to "Navigate using your browser to
> your repository tree on GitHub, and browse through the directory structure
> to locate your English language file." Can someone help me with the URL of
> this on Git?

I guess they are expecting the translation template file "gnucash.pot"
somewhere in our repository. However, that file isn't in SVN/git, it is only
generated during compiling and packaging. If you compile gnucash on your own,
you will find the file as "po/gnucash.pot". There were several attempts to
have this file auto-generated by some web service similar to what you've
mentioned above. But so far every attempt failed because of the significant
variety of translation input files we have in gnucash: C source, Scheme
source, Glade UI files, GConf schemas files. So far no automated website was
able to generate the gnucash.pot file from its own.

If you want to use transifex right now, the only solution is for you to set up
a gnucash build (of 2.4 branch) yourself, which generated gnucash.pot along
the way, then upload it somewhere on your own, e.g. on a personal repository
in your github account. Then you must remember to update this uploaded file
every now and then.

> Once I set up the project, I can Create a Translatable Resource for a
> language, in my case Tamil. For this I need to provide the
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/trunk/po/ta.po source language POT
> file . However, that link seems to be trunk, while the wiki is asking me to
> use the 2.4 branch. I need help with that as well.

https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/2.4/po/ta.po is what you want. (Heh,
that was an easy one.)

Best Regards,

Christian