r20585 - gnucash/trunk - Replace guile configure check by PKG_CHECK_MODULE so that it also works in cross-compiling.

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Apr 26 16:32:18 EDT 2011

Am Dienstag, 26. April 2011 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> On vrijdag 22 april 2011, Christian Stimming wrote:
> > Author: cstim
> > Date: 2011-04-22 15:43:39 -0400 (Fri, 22 Apr 2011)
> > New Revision: 20585
> > Trac: http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/20585
> >
> > Removed:
> >    gnucash/trunk/macros/gnome-guile-checks.m4
> >
> > Modified:
> >    gnucash/trunk/Makefile.am
> >    gnucash/trunk/configure.ac
> >
> > Log:
> > Replace guile configure check by PKG_CHECK_MODULE so that it also works
> > in cross-compiling.
>
> After this commit I couldn't build gnucash anymore on linux. It turns out
> that pkgcheck adds a library dependency (-lltdl) that was not there in the
> guile configure code before.

You do? Weird. I didn't see any dependency change, but probably I already had
this package installed.

> It's not a big deal in itself, I quickly figured out I had to install
> libtool-ltdl-devel on my Fedora system to get it to build again.
>
> I'm just bringing it up because I think it would be good to mention this in
> the build dependencies. I'm just not sure what is the most up to date piece
> of documentation we have for that. There's a README.dependencies in the
> src directory, but that looks horribly out of date. So is there another
> place we document build dependencies ?

I think in the wiki... but indeed, the dependencies are not well documented.
On the other hand, any form of dependency documentation gets out of date very
very quickly, so it's kind of pointless anyway.

> Other than that, I'm very happy with this change. It clearly simplifies and
> normalizes the configure code. Yay !

Thanks.

Christian