Correct svn commit message ?

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Tue Aug 23 16:22:06 EDT 2011

Am Dienstag, 23. August 2011 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
> > On Aug 23, 2011, at 5:10 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> >> Is this possible with our svn setup ?
> >>
> >> A accidentally committed a couple of patches by Florian Haas without
> >> mentioning him as patch author in the commit message.
> >>
> >> Am I allowed to fix these messages ?
> >
> > Geert,
> >
> > Unfortunately, the only way to change commit messages is to edit them in
> > the raw repository; you'd need shell access to code.gnucash.org. I don't
> > know what affect that would have on synchronization with remotes who'd
> > already updated with the original message; I know that git's
> > documentation discourages amending commits after publishing them.
>
> That's not completely true -- it can be done via the svn command.  But I
> believe it's limited to who has access to that functionality.  It does
> not need to be done on a shell on code.

I think the current svn server setup allows this only in a shell on
code.gnucash.org (and using "svnadmin", I think). Given the other
disadvantages of this that we've already discussed, I believe this is a useful
restriction. In this case it's a bit unfortunate but on the other hand it
isn't a problem for the contributor and we can very well continue to live with
the messages we have.

Regards,

Christian