Unable to make dist after recent changes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Dec 1 13:29:59 EST 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 5:05 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2011, at 8:44 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>>
>>> I've just committed the requisite fixes, and distcheck now works on my
>>> Mac. But there's an older problem that causes make check to fail on
>>> Debian Squeeze and Fedora 12 if Gnucash hasn't been installed. Since
>>> distcheck does exactly that, it fails too. I'm bisecting to try and
>>> figure out what is the quick fix (after banging on it for three days
>>> *didn't* solve the problem).
>>>
>>> The actual problem is the way we retrieve some modules, using
>>> gnc_path_get_stdreportdir() (for standard reports) and
>>> gnc_path_get_pkglibdir() (for the engine backends). Neither of those
>>> as written will work with uninstalled libraries, so the tests
>>> fail. But that change went in early last year, and the tests didn't
>>> start failing until a changeset from some time this spring.
>>
>> Perhaps the TEST_ENVIRONMENT is not set correctly to point to the
>> correct build directories?
>
> No, the path utilities don't pay any attention to the environment. I'm working on changing that.

In fact, it looks like the report tests broke when Geert *fixed* the test environments, because it wasn't actually trying to run the tests, just giving up and passing because it couldn't find the modules. Geert didn't see the error, of course, because he had run "make install" at some point, so the test was able to find the reports and the backends.

Regards,
John Ralls