Strategy

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Dec 4 11:35:08 EST 2011

On 03 Dec 2011, at 11:40 PM, Donald Allen wrote:

> Gnucash has been around
> for a long time, and its life-span covers the development of a lot of
> tools. If you were going to start with a blank sheet of paper today, I
> doubt very much whether you would do a lot of the system as it is
> today. The big question is, when is it worth it to cut your losses and
> start over?

I use gnucash because a) it's been around a long time, and b) because gnucash is likely to be around a long time still.

Anyone can start over at any time - that's called a new product - but when people decide to abandon what they have and start over, that's when you lose faith in the project and start to look somewhere else.

Sure, new fandangled languages are shiny, but will they still be popular in 5 years? No idea. I am happy to bet that C will be around in 5 years, so investing in the language as unsexy as it might be for me is a good investment.

I think gnucash needs a heavy set of refactoring. I'd like to see a proper libgnucash split out as a separate library that I can depend on in other software. I'd like to use a libgnucash library as a basis for a restful service that will allow me to share gnucash with others, like my accountant. But I don't think gnucash needs to be started over.

Regards,
Graham