2.4.9 release, 2.5.0 plans

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun Dec 11 16:25:26 EST 2011

Am Sonntag, 11. Dezember 2011, 21:53:46 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> Op zondag 11 december 2011 10:16:15 schreef John Ralls:
> > On Dec 11, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > > Just for clarity, I did understand correctly that the 2.4.9 release
> > > is
> > > delayed because we want the version checking and basic feature
> > > checking
> > > included, right ?
> >
> > That's the question I asked, and I held off bumping and tagging
> > yesterday
> > because I didn't get an answer.
> >
> > Since it looks to me like the other motivation for doing a new release,
> > AQBanking 5 in the Win32 package, hasn't been touched either, ISTM
> > there's no point in doing the release this weekend.
>
> I agree, though I'm not sure it will be very straightforward to upgrade 2.4
> branch to AqBanking 5 on Windows. ISTR there were some dependency
> complications with Webkit and Gtk on that platform that prevented us from
> simply moving to Gtk 2.24.

Ahh... thanks for reminding me of webkit and gtk on windows.

Indeed I am rather sure it will not be possible to build the 2.4 branch on
windows with gtk >= 2.20, as it needs to be built with a newer webkit as well,
and I think this had other implications on some gnucash webkit code. Due to
this, I'm very certain I don't want to spend several hours on getting the 2.4
windows build to build with the newer gtk, still having the risk to discover
it won't work because of certain webkit code changes and a whole lot of back-
ported gnucash commits... In any case, I clearly remember the trunk windows
build to be broken for 4-6 weeks until we finally resolved all of those
issues. I don't want to go through this again. It is far from a non-trivial
task to get the 2.4 branch build with newer gtk.

Instead, as I said before, I'm asking to plan for a 2.5.x/2.6.x series in the
near future. This is not a contradiction to have the next 2.4.9 this weekend
or during next week. But I'm rather sure there will be no 2.4 windows build
with newer gtk, implying there will be no 2.4 windows build with newer
aqbanking. Can we please plan for the next series? Again the reasons:
- Windows build with newer gtk
- Because of this, windows build with newer aqbanking
- Plenty of new features around business etc.

The previous 2.4.0 is now 12 months ago. I think this is enough of a time
interval to turn trunk into a new stable series again.

Regards,

Christian