2.4.9 release, 2.5.0 plans

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Dec 17 20:11:10 EST 2011

On Dec 11, 2011, at 1:25 PM, Christian Stimming wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 11. Dezember 2011, 21:53:46 schrieb Geert Janssens:
>>>
>>> That's the question I asked, and I held off bumping and tagging
>>> yesterday
>>> because I didn't get an answer.
>>>
>>> Since it looks to me like the other motivation for doing a new release,
>>> AQBanking 5 in the Win32 package, hasn't been touched either, ISTM
>>> there's no point in doing the release this weekend.
>>
>> I agree, though I'm not sure it will be very straightforward to upgrade 2.4
>> branch to AqBanking 5 on Windows. ISTR there were some dependency
>> complications with Webkit and Gtk on that platform that prevented us from
>> simply moving to Gtk 2.24.
>
> Ahh... thanks for reminding me of webkit and gtk on windows.
>
> Indeed I am rather sure it will not be possible to build the 2.4 branch on
> windows with gtk >= 2.20, as it needs to be built with a newer webkit as well,
> and I think this had other implications on some gnucash webkit code. Due to
> this, I'm very certain I don't want to spend several hours on getting the 2.4
> windows build to build with the newer gtk, still having the risk to discover
> it won't work because of certain webkit code changes and a whole lot of back-
> ported gnucash commits... In any case, I clearly remember the trunk windows
> build to be broken for 4-6 weeks until we finally resolved all of those
> issues. I don't want to go through this again. It is far from a non-trivial
> task to get the 2.4 branch build with newer gtk.

Having just done it, I'm quite sure that Gnucash-2.4 builds fine with the latest Gnome windows binaries. Webkit 1.1.90 presented no issues and appears to work just fine. (The multicolumn report whines about hicolor-theme not being installed, so perhaps that should get added.)

The latest Gwen and AQB build fine as well, but I can't convince Gwen to find her plugins. Do I need to install the registry keys in gwenhywfar.iss, or is there a more temporary and unix-y way?

Oh, and when Gwen can't find her "dir" plugin, AQB asserts (in config-mgr.c, line 250) and crashes everything, which is a bit rude.

Regards,
John Ralls