gnucash: symbol lookup error

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Dec 13 05:49:54 EST 2011

Op maandag 12 december 2011 22:52:06 schreef Alex Aycinena:
> I checked out the latest trunk revision 21729 and it builds OK.
> However, when I try to start it, I get the following error:
>
>   "symbol lookup error:
> /opt/gnucash-svn/gnucash-working/lib/gnucash/libgncmod-business-core.so:
> undefined symbol: scm_init_sw_business_core_module"
>
> and it terminates. Can somebody tell me how to correct this. I went
> back in stages to 21705 and had the same problem. I gave up after
> that. Are other people able to get the application to work? Fedora 15.

r21729 should not have libgncmod-business-core.so anymore. The complete
business-core module was merged into other parts of the source tree.

I'm not sure what is the best method (read with least impact) to fix this, but
on my system I brute-force fixed this as follows:
1. Remove the directory in which gnucash gets installed and built
2. remove my build directory (I do build in a directory separate from the
source directory, makes this kind of operations much easier.
3. rerun autogen.sh, configure, make, ...

I'm sure the same effect can be had by more subtle changes, but I don't know
that magic mantra.

Geert