r21767 - gnucash/trunk/src/gnome-utils - Add a "features" table to the KVP frame, and pop up an error message

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Tue Dec 20 16:54:14 EST 2011

Dear Derek,

thanks for implementing the feature table! Obviously it's a first shot at this
feature, and we still need to see how the code will look like when the first
known features are compared against.

Am Dienstag, 20. Dezember 2011, 16:12:22 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> The feature description is printed to the user: it should be stored in
> the slots table in English but it should be defined as a translatable
> string.

Here I don't fully agree: The feature description cannot be a translatable
string. The description is what the old version should show to the user. Now,
the old version by definition doesn't know about the new feature. Hence, it
will also by definition not contain any translations of the description string
of the new feature. It is therefore pointless to care about translations of
these strings, unless you want to add all known translations into the KVP slot
as well, and the old version can pick up the translated form directly from the
KVP slot. IMHO this is too much effort here. Instead, we should just stick to
the english text because a translation doesn't really work.

Regards,

Christian