Git Migration: github with svn access

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Dec 29 12:47:35 EST 2011

On Dec 29, 2011, at 7:45 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Op woensdag 28 december 2011 17:08:13 schreef John Ralls:
>>> Heh, don't underestimate the configuration of our Windows build server.
>>>
>>> It checks every night if it has to (re)build some tagged versions. It
>>> does this by making a list of all tags (and their associated revision)
>>> and comparing this with yesterday's list. If there is any tag/revision
>>> combination that doesn't exist yet, it will rebuild this tag.
>>>
>>> So if the revision numbers in git don't match those in our own svn tree,
>>> that means that the server will attempt to rebuild every tag that is
>>> present in the tags directory (well to be precise each tag of the
>>> format x.y.z). That will cause a lot of (useless) rebuilds for one
>>> night.So before we switch the tag builds to use git, we better
>>> 1. be very sure the git created revision numbers never change
>>> 2. manually recreate the tag history file based on git's revision
>>> information.
>>>
>>> But other than that I don't consider this a big issue. Assuming the svn
>>> access github provides will be stable, and is meant to replace our own
>>> internally managed svn tree, the numbering mismatch is only a temporary
>>> inconvenience.
>> ISTM it would be better to have the release script look at the SHA reference
>> in the tag using git rather than to depend upon Github's subversion
>> gateway.
> I'm not opposed to this idea as such, but the whole discussion so far was
> focussed on the idea of reusing the svn based automated build scripts, to
> avoid the need to change everything in one go.
> I've been giving my feedback with that idea in mind.
>
> Last time I checked (a few minutes ago), git support on Windows was still in
> beta, at least the project I found:
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>
> Perhaps there's another one ?

On the one hand, I wouldn't worry about that too much: It looks like it's always been "beta". What's more, the beta-ness likely has more to do with the GUI, and we're not really interested in that, just in some of the basic git commands.

On the other hand, it installs a complete MinGW/MSys for its private use, so I'm looking into building git from source in our existing environment.

Regards,
John Ralls