Git Migration: github with svn access

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Thu Dec 29 14:46:19 EST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 29. Dezember 2011, 09:47:35 schrieb John Ralls:
> >> ISTM it would be better to have the release script look at the SHA
> >> reference in the tag using git rather than to depend upon Github's
> >> subversion gateway.

Absolutely. After thinking about this for a bit, I think retrieving the
various branches via git and checking for existence of new tags is clearly
much more easy using git, compared to using svn. However, it means we must re-
write those parts of the build scripts.

> > Last time I checked (a few minutes ago), git support on Windows was
> > still in beta, at least the project I found:
> > http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
> >
> > Perhaps there's another one ?
>
> On the one hand, I wouldn't worry about that too much: It looks like it's
> always been "beta". What's more, the beta-ness likely has more to do with
> the GUI, and we're not really interested in that, just in some of the basic
> git commands.
>
> On the other hand, it installs a complete MinGW/MSys for its private use, so
> I'm looking into building git from source in our existing environment.

I've been using git on windows for years in my daily work by now. The one from
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list?can=3 is indeed the "official"
one if you want a git (cmdline) executable on windows. I think it's pointless
to try to build a smaller git package yourself. Just use the git.exe that
comes with that package and that's it. In my work computer, I have a msys
installation that I use for my normal work, but the git.exe comes from that
very package which additionally has its own msys installation. Apart from the
large download volume I didn't notice any problems in this setup.

If I have some time during the next days, I'll look into porting the SVN-
dependencies in our build scripts to using git. Also, I don't think it's
necessary to distinguish tags that should trigger a build from those which
don't - we can just as well have *each* tag trigger a rebuild on its own. The
build server "just" needs a list of tag and SHA1.

Regards,

Christian