Gnucash 2.4.3 released
plongstaff at rogers.com
Sun Feb 27 21:19:11 EST 2011
Announcement: GnuCash 2.4.3 Release 2011-02-27
GnuCash 2.4.3 released
The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.4.3, the third
bug fix release in a series of stable of the GnuCash Free Accounting
Software. With this new release series, GnuCash can use an SQL database
using SQLite3, MySQL or PostgreSQL. It runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris,
Microsoft Windows and Mac OSX.
Note: 2.4.1 was partially released but was pulled at the last minute
when critical problems were found. 2.4.1 should NOT be used.
Major changes in the 2.4.0 release include;
* In addition to the XML backend, Gnucash can now use a SQLite3,
MySQL or PostgreSQL database to store the data. This is a new
implementation using libdbi. It supports all features including
the business features. In order to build with this, add
--enable-dbi to the configure command. In addition to the
libdbi-dev package for your distribution, you will also need the
appropriate DBD (libdbi driver) package for sqlite3, mysql or
* As a replacement for the current GtkHTML HTML engine used to
display reports and graphs, Gnucash can use WebKit. WebKit is
the engine used by Google Chrome on Windows and Safari on Apple.
In order to build with this, add --with-html-engine=webkit to
the configure command. You will need an appropriate webkit-dev
package. On win32, you will need to download the
webkit-1.1.90-win32.zip file from the source repository and put
it into the downloads directory of your gnucash build area.
* Updated AqBanking on Win32.
Getting GnuCash for Windows (Win32 binary)
The Gnucash 2.4.3 Win32 setup executable can be downloaded from
Sourceforge. It will install everything needed to run GnuCash.
Mac OSX binary
The Gnucash 2.4.3 MacOSX package can be downloaded from Sourceforge as
Getting GnuCash as source code
If you want to compile GnuCash 2.4.3 for yourself, the source code can
be downloaded from:
* Sourceforge: bzip2, gzip, all files.
* You can also checkout the sources directly from the subversion
repository with this command:
svn co http://svn.gnucash.org/repo/gnucash/tags/2.4.3 gnucash
To compile GnuCash from the source code by yourself, you will need Gnome
2, guile, slib. In addition you will need swig if compiling from
Changes between 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 include:
* User-visible changes
* Only show the Save As dialog at the end of the Hierarchy
druid if it was called at the beginning of a new book,
not when a hierarchy is added to from the actions menu.
* Set a printer job name when printing reports and cheques
* Update revision to 2.4.3
* Fix invoice line ordering mismatch between register
window and reports. The new code was missing the call to
* Add extra toolbar buttons as shortcuts for some business
functions, "New Invoice" for now. The extra toolbar
buttons are disabled until the user enables them
manually in Preferences -> Business -> Extra buttons.
* Implement command for changing the ordering of invoice
entries by moving them up or down one row. Turned out
this is rather easy: Just swap the "date-entered" of
* Fix r20272: The text selection after auto-completion
should work correctly now.
* Extend the addr2/addr3 auto-completion also to the
shipping addr2/addr3 lines.
* Implement auto-completion on the addr2/addr3 lines of
the "New Customer" dialog box.
* Fix missing copying of invoice currency on "Copy
Invoice". Unfortunately this feature has been creating
invoices with no currency set. This leads to weird
amounts that have more digits than expected and don't
sum up correctly, and it also triggers the warning
dialog "One or more of the entries are for accounts
different from the invoice/bill currency. (...)"
* Minor tweaking of icon for duplicate invoice so that it
doesn't look grayed out
* Updated translations or translation-related changes
* Update Russian translation by Sergey Belyashov.
* Update translation po files: Merge latest pot template.
* Update Dutch translation by Mark Haanen, copied from the
* Updated Spanish translation, by Francisco Javier F.
* Updated Lithuanian translation by Mantas Kriaučiūnas.
* Update German translation.
* I18n improvement: Unify two very similar strings.
* Updated Italian translation.
* Updated Slovak translation, copied from the translation
* Updated Traditional Chinese translation, by Kuang-che
* Remove translation markers from already-translated
strings in German tax report.
* Update German tax report, by Franz Stoll. The
contributor also sent some explanatory documents, which
I for now copied into tax/us/de_DE/, but I just didn't
know whether they better belong anywhere else.
* Updated Italian translation.
* Unify two very similar strings.
* Bugs fixed
* Bug #635552: Rename "Financial Calculator" into "Loan
Repayment Calculator" I've been told (by users who know
the subject well enough) the "Financial Calculator"
should rather be called a "Loan Repayment Calculator" or
a "Mortgage Payment Calculator", as this is what is
being offered there. So I finally made this renaming.
* Bug #640357: Adding very limited Perl-Support for
doxygen Adding Doxygen commands to the Perl-scripts in
the sources I searched for every *.pl file in the
GnuCash source and added Doxygen commands like @file,
@brief, @author to better include them in doxygen. Patch
by Christoph Holtermann.
* Bug #640357: Adding very limited Perl-Support for
doxygen There are a few Perl-scripts scattered through
the GnuCash sources. This patch enables doxygen to
interpret them so that they can be provided with
information about author, date and so on. This is done
by telling doxygen that their python-files. So
python-comments can be used. The actual Perl-source is
commented out by using @cond Perl ...PERL-CODE...
@endcond Perl Patch by Christoph Holtermann
* Bug #640347: Adding Example Skripts for historic Stock
Quotes This patch adds the example skripts from
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/get_prices to the
directory python-bindings/example_scripts. Patch by
* Bug #640328: This patch makes Transaction.GetSplitList
and Account.GetSplitList return Split instances I
changed gnucash_core.py so that GetSplitList methods of
Transaction and Account return Split-instances so that
the user doesn't need to call
Split(instance=GetSplitList()[n]). I checked the
examples and changed one either. Patch by Christoph
* Bug #639906: Changing the way __format__ works for Split
and Transaction Patch by Christoph Holtermann
* Bug #641832: Workaround to avoid the current crashes on
windows. On win32 the queryf() calls below seem to
crash. On the other hand, we know the used libdbi on
windows is fine, so as a first workaround, we assume
libdbi is safe.
* Bug #642445 [PATCH] Segfault when tip_of_the_day.list is
* Bug #642284: Fails to build on Ubuntu Natty Patch by
* Bug #641832: Use g_strdup_printf() instead of
dbi_conn_queryf() to format the query; the latter
crashed msvcrt. Also reverts r20287 because the root bug
* Bug #641909: Fix broken price scatter plot The report
was unknowingly broken by the move of one function in
r20209 namely gnc-locale-default-iso-currency-code from
app-utils to core-utils, and somehow this needs a
re-export in the core-utils.scm declaration. (I don't
know why. For me, this confirms again this whole scheme
plugin stuff sucks, royally.)
* Other code/build changes
* Tag 2.4.3
* Re-indentation of source code. This re-indentation was
done using astyle-1.24 using the following options:
astyle --indent=spaces=4 --brackets=break --pad-oper
* Update gtk include headers to follow gtk recommendations
(only include gtk/gtk.h)
* qofinstance.h: Delete duplicate declarations and
consolidate editlevel declarations in one place.
* Extend gtkmm/C++ plugin to include an actual gnc-plugin
* Really fix conditional configure test for gtkmm.
* Add optional module that compiles with gtkmm, i.e. in C
++. This was just a crazy idea, but it turns out to be
extremely easy. This can be used as a place for new GUI
elements which people prefer to write in gtkmm/C++
instead of C. It's disabled by default. Use configure
--enable-gtkmm to enable it.
* Fix const-correctness of gnc-module interface.
* Add missing run-time typechecks in new code.
* Fix CRIT gtk warning if the old_page_long_name was NULL
but still passed to g_strrstr.
* Win32 build: Updated aqbanking5 version numbers
* Add accessor of GtkUIManager in GncMainWindow.
* Win32 build: Fix outdated (and broken) URL of
* QofSession: Don't push a new generic error if there's
already one available that might be more descriptive.
* Remove no-longer-correct warning about the aqbanking5
setup wizard not being implemented: It is.
* Add a Timespec constructor for the current clock time.
* Win32 build: Fix some cross-compiling issues.
* Win32 build: Update some version numbers: libofx,
* Fix potential parsing of NULL strings by correctly use
an empty non-NULL string instead.
* Another error message somewhat more verbose.
* Make log warning about bad gnc_numeric print the actual
* Add address auto-completion of r20272 also for address
* Add a common shared quickfill object for the addr2/addr3
lines of a GncAddress.
* Minor code cleanup - remove includes from header if not
* Fix CRIT error message on program quit in the aqbanking
How can you help?
Translating: The new release comes with some new translation strings. If
you consider contributing a translation, we invite you to test this
About the Program
GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU
General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris,
Mac OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and
its first stable release was in 1998.
More information about the gnucash-devel