Public Git repo

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jan 3 13:40:40 EST 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> John,
>
> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>> OK, Christian, you're in.
>>
>> My first import try doesn't seem to have worked out very well, so I'll
>> have another go in a bit.
>
> Can you please keep good notes with what you're trying and what
> worked/failed in the process?  This way we all can learn about it.
> Maybe a wiki page (SvnToGitConversion)?  Also, this way we can all learn
> how to reproduce your results later.

The first try seems to have failed because at one point there were files having the same name except for case. Since I made the first effort on my Mac, which is "case preserving but not case sensitive", it stopped rather prematurely.

I've started over on my Linux server (which, using a lot less 'tricity than my Mac Pro, gets to run all of the time, so I'd intended to move the repo over to it anyway).

I'm using svn2git, a ruby "gem" which wraps git-svn and fixes up the tags and branches so that they're git-correct. I created an authors file from the svn log and AUTHORS; that part works quite well.

Regards,
John Ralls