Public Git repo: Status update

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 4 15:11:40 EST 2011

The second try stopped at r15521 for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me. Trying to get it to go further with git svn rebase are met with an error message: Unable to determine upstream SVN information from working tree history. I still don't know what that means.

In trying to find out, I read to the bottom of the git-svn man page, where I found a section called "Caveats". The first paragraph says:
> For the sake of simplicity and interoperating with a less-capable system (SVN), it is recommended that all git svn users clone, fetch and dcommit directly from the SVN server, and avoid all git clone/pull/merge/push operations between git repositories and branches. The recommended method of exchanging code between git branches and users is git format-patch and git am, or just 'dcommit’ing to the SVN repository.

It goes on to explain why (it has to do with the problems that SVN has with merges). Rather suggests that this approach may not work out the way we'd hoped.

Regards,
John Ralls