Public Git repo: Status update

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 20:51:09 EST 2011

Hi John,

On 2011-01-04, at 15:11, John Ralls wrote:

> […]
>
> In trying to find out, I read to the bottom of the git-svn man page, where I found a section called "Caveats". The first paragraph says:
>> For the sake of simplicity and interoperating with a less-capable system (SVN), it is recommended that all git svn users clone, fetch and dcommit directly from the SVN server, and avoid all git clone/pull/merge/push operations between git repositories and branches. The recommended method of exchanging code between git branches and users is git format-patch and git am, or just 'dcommit’ing to the SVN repository.
>
> It goes on to explain why (it has to do with the problems that SVN has with merges). Rather suggests that this approach may not work out the way we'd hoped.

I have a feeling it’ll work. I’m running an import now following the instructions in Version Control with Git.[1]  In it, Jon Loeliger mentions that the trick to avoiding all sorts of problems is having one gatekeeper Git repository, and many plain Git repositories which interact with the gatekeeper and each other. The main thing is that the gatekeeper repo pulls in all relevant branches, flattens them into a linear history, then dcommits them to the SVN repo. That way, all Git users will be dealing with the same commit IDs and therefore the same history.

I don’t want to jinx it, but I’m hopeful.

Regards,

Yawar

[1] http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596520137/