Public Git repo: Status update

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 23:40:42 EST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-01-07, at 16:41, John Ralls wrote:

> […]
>
> Meanwhile, I see that Yawar has pushed his own git svn import onto the Github repo and also pushed a commit in a new, rather weirdly-named branch. Yawar, since you have the svn data that goes with that import, you've bought keeping github synchronized with svn and vice-versa.

:-)

To be honest I’m not entirely satisfied with the repo I pushed to GitHub. I did a git svn clone to get a Git repo that was tied to the SVN repo, but then I pushed that into another ‘plain’ Git repo on my hard disk. Then I pushed the plain repo up into GitHub. So what’s on GitHub is twice removed from the SVN repo, which is too far to ferry changes back and forth.

I want to give it another try, but I need to delete the repo that’s up on GitHub. John, could you do that, or give me access to do it? Then I can push straight up from my git svn clone and keep that synchronized pretty easily.

Except … I don’t have commit access to repo/gnucash. So what’s the best way forward here? Give me access and let me maintain the synchronization (which I’m happy to do), or should John push his repo up and use his existing commit access to do the sync?

Either way, I can easily maintain gnucash-docs on GitHub (John, I need another repo in the organization … :-)

Regards,

Yawar

P.S. The bug/xxxxxx branch name, or in general ABC/XYZ naming scheme, is useful because Git recognises the ‘*’ wildcard wherever a Git command takes a list of refs (e.g. branch names). So you can do ‘git show-branch bug/*’ to quickly see the commits in the different bugfix branches and how (if) they relate to each other. See also http://books.google.ca/books?id=e9FsGUHjR5sC&lpg=PA94&ots=Zhbe5ISaok&dq=git%20branch%20name%20wildcards&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q=git%20branch%20name%20wildcards&f=false