Public Git repo

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 10 10:12:43 EST 2011

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> On Wednesday 05 January 2011, Jeff Kletsky wrote:
>> I don't like that history is a pretty flexible thing and that "branches"
>> are just pointers to specific commits, rather than the kind of
>> "followable path" that svn provides.
>>
> That's interesting, because I feel exactly the oposite. I don't like it that
> for svn a branch or tag is a path into the repository. It has always felt
> artificial to me and if not treated with proper care could put you into very
> unwanted situations like people inadvertently committing changes to a tagged
> release.
> I guess this is mostly a matter of taste and what you are most used to
> though...

I like that branches are paths, because you DO want to be able to make
additional commits into a branch.  So I don't agree with you there.
However, I do agree with you about tags.

IMHO branches and tags are (and should be) fundamentally different.  A
branch should be a path, but a tag is, well, a tag.