Challenging python coders: Who can create a gnucash-like GUI in python in a few weeks?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 11 12:34:12 EST 2011

On Jan 11, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Phil Longstaff wrote:

> If android is just java, then we should try wrapping the back end using JNI.

That seems to be possible: http://symnux.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-to-port-native-cc-library-into.html, but Android provides an "official" way: http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/index.html

Android also provides Sqlite storage (via java), so one would probably want to write a Java backend. That would apply for iOS as well, except with a CoreData backend. (Amusing side-note: CoreData transparently abstracts Sqlite3 and XML data access -- and decides for itself which to use.)

A mobile version of Gnucash would also need to provide some sort of data synchronization to the user's main computer or database server. There are tools for that in the Android SDK (http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/data-storage.html#netw), the iOS SDK probably has that too, but I don't have an iOS dev subscription so I can't check.

Regards,
John Ralls