What svn rev is 2.4.0?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sun Jan 16 14:05:56 EST 2011

On Sunday 16 January 2011, Jeff Kletsky wrote:
> Which SVN revision is "officially" 2.4.0?
>
> Tagged is r19971

This is the official version.

> The source tarball builds as r19974

That was probably the latest svn revision at the time the tarball was created.
That doesn't mean the tarball was created from revision r19974 though.

I think this is the result of the way subversion works and how we are
extracting the revision information.

> An svn checkout of 2.4.0 builds as r20008

Same issue here.

> $ svn info
> Repository Root: http://svn.gnucash.org/repo
> Repository UUID: 57a11ea4-9604-0410-9ed3-97b8803252fd
> Revision: 20008
> Node Kind: directory
> Schedule: normal
> Last Changed Author: plongstaff
> Last Changed Rev: 19971
> Last Changed Date: 2010-12-20 10:00:29 -0800 (Mon, 20 Dec 2010)

Your svn info shows that at the time you checked out 2.4.0 (or last updated
your working directory) r20008 was the most recent svn revision. Yet, the Last
Changed Rev shows that the directory you checked out was last modified in
r19971. That's the parameter that is relevant to determine the svn revision
that was used to create the tarball.

Unfortunately the script that checks the actual svn version during tarball
creation uses the Revision parameter instead. Which just increases with every
commit *anywhere* in the repository. So even if the contents of the tagged
directory is not changed, the Revision number does.

There is a way to get the Last Changed Rev as well (by calling svnversion -c
instead of plain svnversion), but for some reason that outputs two revision
numbers, not one. I don't know why that is. The latter of those two is indeed
the actual Last Changed Rev.

Perhaps we can try to work with that instead of Revision ?

Geert