Interactive Javascript + Canvas (Flot) powered graphs

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Jan 24 04:18:12 EST 2011

Am Samstag, 22. Januar 2011 schrieb Andy Clayton:
> Right. I saw some of the prior rumblings about replacing the current report
> framework, and while I don't disagree I figured I would first start with
> something simpler and quicker.

Yes. And it would already be a very useful improvement, as the look'n'feel of
our charts surely need improvement.

> I do have an extremely simple module thrown
> together so that python can be used from within gnucash,

You have? I'd be interested to see that. Even if it can't be used for
replacing scheme reports by python reports at this point in time, I would be
interested to see whether other scriptable tasks within gnucash can be done
through python already.

> It might also make sense to see if any of the scheme
> report utility functions should be pushed up to C/C++ so that other
> languages would be able to use them.

Agreed. However, I think there aren't too many scheme functions which are
useful outside of the scheme reports. I *thought* the majority of that code
offers the scheme reports their infrastructure as scheme types. But I might be
wrong and yes, any utility that isn't limited to scheme per se can be moved up
to C if useful.

> Plus I was considering lobbying for a
> cleanup of the Python api before trying to use it to replace part of core,
> unless of course there is some system behind the mixed CamelCase and
> underscore functions I am missing. But that's a whole other topic...

Agreed. Feel free to submit patches for those as well. :-)

Best Regards,

Christian