GnuCash WIKI Restored from backup -- recent changes lost

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jul 2 20:05:56 EDT 2011

On Jul 2, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, July 2, 2011 3:31 pm, John Ralls wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 2, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>>> I'll fix it when I get home.
>>

>> OK.
>>
>> To add to your list, I'm trying to edit the OSX release notes at
>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/2.4.6/Readme
>> When I click on any of the "edit" links, I get
>> A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the
>> software. The last attempted database query was:
>> (SQL query hidden)
>> from within function "Title::isDeletedQuick". Database returned error
>> "126: Incorrect key file for table './wiki/archive.MYI'; try to repair it
>> (localhost)".
>>
>> I can edit http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git without any problems.
>
> I'm afraid that MySQL ate itself!!  Most of the wiki database pages were
> bad, and the backups had been failing since June 28th.  I had to reload
> the database as of the backup made on June 27th.  I'm afraid that all
> changes that have been made to the wiki since Jun 27 03:22 US/EDT have
> been lost.  This includes new pages, changes to pages, new users, etc.
>
> I appologize for the inconvenience, but I couldn't fix the mysql databases
> no matter what magic mysql check and repair commands I tried.
>
> I'm sorry.
>
> HOWEVER, it should now be working correctly, so you shouldn't have any
> issues.  If you do, please let me know.
>
> Luckily we found this before we lost the last good backup!!  (Backups only
> stick around for a week).

Great, thanks. Fortunately I'd only done one successful edit this week and the history was still in my browser. Hope that's true of everyone else.

Perhaps a deeper backup strategy is in order: Save one daily/week for a month, and one weekly/month for 3 months or something like that.

Regards,
John Ralls