GnuCash Documentation 2.4.1 in .epub and .mobi format

SASAKI Suguru sss.sonik at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 19:40:15 EDT 2011

2011/7/9 Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>:
> I wonder if this script is required to generate the epub format,
> or if it's just a wrapper around a generic xslt transformation.

>From a quick view with this script,
this script does:
- XSLT transformation using xsltproc
- zip these reesults into .epub

So, basically, we can go whitout this script.

2011/7/9 Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>:
> While googling, I found this:
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/tutorials/x-epubtut/section5.html
>
> It is basically the recipe to create an epub file from the docbook source.
> Looking at it, it seems to consist of
> - one xslt transform using the epub xsl from docbook
> - generating a proper zip file with mimetype included
>
> At first sight this doesn't seem to be too difficult to transform in a makefile
> ruleset. We may be able to avoid a ruby dependency in this way.

Yes, in .epub generation, we can avoid a dependency on Ruby in such a way.
But in .mobi generation we *can't avoid* a dependency on calibre (and
thus on Python).

So if we merge *only .epub generation* into build system,
I'll investigate a way to go wihtout such a script (and thus Ruby),
but if we merge *.mobi generation as well*,
we can rely on Pyhon and writing dbtoepub in Python is sufficeient.

Minimizing the dependencies are a good way to go,
but we are not neacessarily stoic about using other tools.
I guess, Python is almost a standard tool on Linux and other enverionments,
so depending on Python is not bad.

--
SASAKI Suguru
  mailto:sss.sonik at gmail.com