GnuCash - Year End Questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 11 12:23:47 EDT 2011

Hi,

All these questions should have been asked on the gnucash-user mailing
list.  The gnucash-devel list is for development questions, none of
which these are...

I've set this mail to reply to gnucash-user.

Winslow von Maur <winslowvm at hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Several questions
>
> 1.       Do I have to reconcile?

You don't have to do anything.

Reconciling is there to help you make sure you didn't miss anything by
matching balances and transactions between GnuCash and your printed
statements.  You can choose not to reconcile if you wish.

> 2.       How do I update to the newest version of gnucash without losing my data in this new version?  Do I have to do some type of export from old gnu and then import to the new gnu (if so, then how?)?

Just upgrade.  The data files are compatible between 2.2 and 2.4.  At
worst you may need to File -> Open the data file and reset some
preferences after the upgrade.

If you're really afraid, backup your data first.

> 3.       My year end is May 31.  How do I close the fiscal year?
> 4.       My year begins on June 1st.  How do I start the new year?

Personally, I would do nothing.