gnucash-devel list policy (was: Money files)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 8 09:10:44 EDT 2011

Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com> writes:

>> That being said, I fully agree the wording on the various web pages may still
>> be improved. However, I think people will find out about this mailing list
>> through various channels (wiki web page, static web page, some document in the
>> local program installation etc. etc.). A clarification in one place will not
>> yet improve things in the others. Reading again the wiki page, it seems to me
>> the explanation there is rather sufficient and I'd guess people who still ask
>> on gnucash-devel have heard about this mailing list by some other way than the
>> wiki page.
>
> I completely disagree with your assessment of the language on the wiki
> page. And I would guess that the predominant method for a new user
> finding out about Gnucash mailing lists is to start with gnucash.org
> and the 'Mailing Lists' link on that page. So while there may be other
> routes to this list, I think the most oft-used one is via the main
> Gnucash website and if the language is clear there, the frequency of
> user questions on the development list will be reduced. The proof will
> be in trying it, of course.

There are three places that I think the text needs to be clarified:

1) On the wiki
2) On the website
3) In the mailman configuration

There's arguably a fourth place:  in the app itself, where it says:
Report bugs and other problems to gnucash-devel at gnucash.org.